First, here is the Craigslist picture of the chairs. The seller claimed they were mahogany, but were worn and in need of work. I loved the detailing on the backs of the chairs, so I thought they would be the perfect chairs to paint.
After following the tips suggested by Kate at Censtsational Girl, here, Brooke from Blueprint Bliss, here, and Janell from Isabella and Max Rooms, here, I first sanded the chairs (or should I say, my kind husband detached the seats and sanded the chairs for me). Next, I used leftover primer that we had to prime the chairs. Since it is winter here and I had to work indoors, I didn't use spray paint. Next, I applied two thin coats of Sherwin Williams Dover White paint, which was also leftover from painting all the trim in our house. For the last step, my husband applied wipe-on poly to give it a nice shine and to protect the paint job.
Here is the end result:
For the seat cushions, I only kept the original wood and replaced everything else. The original foam cushions were gross, so I used two foam cushions that I got at Joann's Fabrics that I cut to size. In hindsight, the cushions are probably too plush for the height of the back of the chair, but, they are very comfortable so I don't mind that they are not proportional. I then wrapped some batting around the foam cushions and used my staple gun to secure the batting to the back of the wood seat. Next, I centered and wrapped around the green trellis fabric that I bought at Joann's, and stapled the fabric to the back of the seat. Then the seats were reattached to the chair.
Here is another look at the finished chairs.
We are going to use one for our computer desk and the other for my sewing desk. I also think they're cute enough to pull into our family room when we have guests over and need extra seating. I can't wait to paint something again. I may have a problem . . .